Incidentally, I continue to note that my cakes, breads and pies test done much earlier than the recommended baking times in the book. Both of my ovens have been recently tested for accuracy, so I can't explain it. But word to the wise--use baking times as guidelines and keep a close eye on the oven.
A buttery rum sauce proved to be a perfect complement to the cake. It's an adaptation of my friend Barbie's famous whiskey sauce. Here's the recipe for a very generous batch:
- Melt two sticks of unsalted butter over low heat in a small nonstick saucepan. Do not let it brown or even simmer. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Lightly blend one egg plus one egg yolk with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Off the heat, whisk the eggs into the butter.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups of white sugar into the butter and egg mixture and blend well. Return the pan to the stove and cook on medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and the sugar is dissolved, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in one half cup of dark rum.
- Serve the sauce alongside the cake.